Sunday, June 14, 2020

Blue Smoke in my Pocket


June 2, 2020

I had another “surrounded by His favor” moment on this past weekend! I decided to mow the yard. But, when I started the mower it began to blow out blue smoke—big billows of it! It got worse and worse. I was embarrassed to be seen driving it. It had never done that before. I figured that the engine was blown and or that the rings had broken. Now I was going to have to drive to Lancaster and bring home the mower that I had just taken there. And I would need to get the motor on this mower rebuilt for $500 or so. But I stopped at this little lawn mower shop located in a guy’s garage not far from my home. When I explained my problem he said, “Oh, you blew a head gasket. You can fix that yourself! You’re good with mechanics." I was so relieved! He had just saved me a bundle of money.

I decided to ask him what made him an interesting person and that launched him into a 45-minute dialog about his very colorful life! I felt like I had gotten free advice and a good friend! Plus, when I got home, the neighbor boy, Matt, said that he would mow the yard for me the next day! Which he did. When I tried to give him $30 for his efforts, he refused the money. Now Karen says she will make him a batch of chocolate chip cookies instead! (and I will get to eat some!)

So, I decided to take the advice of my book, “Created to Commune” and "not let God's blessings find a dead end in my pocket!" I sent the $30 to a friend whom I knew could use it, or more likely, would find a way to pass it on and keep the blessings moving!

No comments:

Post a Comment